or any time of year, John Quilter's juicy, marinated BBQ lamb cutlets with a smokey roasted aubergine spread is sure to put a smile on anyone's face... but for the ultimate flavour sensation, pair with a pale ale.
8 Lamb cutlets, untrimmed
1 Large onion, peeled and grated
2 pinches Saffron
2 tbsp Cardamom pods, seeds removed and ground
2 tbsp Coriander seeds ground
4 Garlic cloves, pureed
1 Lemon, juice and zest
1 Aubergine, grilled
2 tbsp Tahini
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 tbsp Pine Kernels. toasted
1 clove Garlic
2 tbsp Olive oil
Pomegranate seeds, to garnish
A day before...
- Warm 4 tbsp of oil in a pan over medium heat, adding the saffron, cardamom and coriander powders. Cook until fragrant (about 1 minute) then remove from the heat
- Reserve 2 tbsp of the oil for use later and add the rest to a small bowl along with the grated onion and garlic
- Combine the onion and oil mixture with the lamb chops, season with salt and pepper and cover with cling. Allow to marinate overnight in the fridge
On the day of...
- Blitz the grilled aubergine with the tahini, olive oil and lemon Juice. Spread in a bowl and garnish with the toasted pine kernels, smoked paprika and pomegranate seeds
- Remove your lamb from the fridge 15 minutes before you’re ready to cook it
- Preheat a grill pan over medium heat, adding the lamb and cooking on each side for 3-5 minutes. Allow them to rest for a couple minutes before serving alongside the aubergine spread