This is a wonderful and easy recipe that also works well with smoked haddock. Perfumed yoghurt marinade keeps the flesh delicate and tender without overpowering the fish. Served with a bright and citrusy rocket salad, it’s comfort food with a twist.
Spiced Haddock with Rocket salad
4 x 200g filets Fresh (or smoked) haddock
150 ml Double cream
150 g Greek style yoghurt
100 g Grated mild cheddar
2 Fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
20 g Garlic, peeled
¼ tsp each Ground mace, ground cardamom and grated nutmeg
2 Green chillis
Dash Worcestershire sauce
1 Lemon, juiced
2 tbsp Rapeseed oil
½ Red onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp Capers
Salt and Black pepper, to taste
- Place all the ingredients apart from the fish in a blender and puree to a fine paste. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Cover the fish well by spreading on the marinade, place on a tray and cover lightly with cling film. (Fold the thin tail ends underneath to ensure they don't dry out).
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat the grill to the highest setting.
- Lightly oil and season a baking tray then place the filets with space between. Squeeze a bit of lemon juice on top of each filet. Cook for about 12 minutes, until the top is golden and bubbling.
- Serve the filets along with a rocket salad dressed with thinly sliced red onion, capers, 1 tbsp of rapeseed oil and remaining lemon juice.
Back to top